Location: McKendree Metro Rec Plex
General Public Fee: $300.00
Resident Fee: $280.00
Dates and Times:
Feb 16th | 5:30 PM – 9 PM
Feb 17th | 5:30 PM – 9 PM
Feb 18th | 8 AM – 7:30 PM
Feb 19th | 9 AM – 7:30 PM
Ages: 15 and up
Teaches the duties and responsibilities of lifeguards to prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies and procedures to carry them out in a professional manner. Certifies participant in American Red Cross Lifeguarding, First Aid and CPR/AED.
- Must be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both. Swimming on the back is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of at least 7 to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath.
- Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.